1961 BMW R27 250cc Motorcycle
The BMW R27, introduced in 1960, is a shaft-driven, single-cylinder motorcycle manufactured by BMW. Following the lifting of a ban on it producing motorcycles after World War, BMW began making a series of models that started with the R24 in 1948 and led to the R27 of 1960. With an enclosed drive shaft, rear swingarm, and triangulated front Earles forks, the R27 was the only 250 cc OHV vertical single rubber-mounted thumper engine BMW ever produced, and was its last shaft drive single-cylinder motorcycle. The engine pumped out 13 kW, the highest ever for a shaft-drive BMW single. BMW manufactured 15,364 R27 models over the production years of 1960 to 1966.