NSW CTP Green Slip Insurance Features

Easy Online Quoting

It only takes about 5 minutes!

Payment Notification to Transport for NSW (TfNSW) in minutes

Provide us with two (2) pieces of information to help us identify you and we will immediately transfer your CTP details to TfNSW, formerly the RMS.
Auto rego renewal for Pensioners

What is CTP Green Slip Insurance and what does it cover?

Compulsory Third Party (CTP) Insurance, also known as CTP Green Slip in NSW covers the liability of anyone driving your vehicle for injuries caused to others in a motor accident. It can also help you cover medical expenses, and offers up to six months of weekly payments for lost income if you're injured in an accident that's your fault. Visit the SIRA website for more information.

CTP is mandatory in NSW for all vehicles other than caravans and trailers, and must be purchased before you can register your vehicle.

What's covered by CTP?

Costs for which you're liable if you, or someone driving your vehicle, injure someone else in a motor accident

Medical expenses and a percentage of your pre-injury weekly income if you need time off work for up to six months, if you're injured, regardless of fault (unless you are charged with a serious driving offence)

What's not covered by CTP?

Damage to your vehicle

Damage to other people's vehicles and property

Theft of your vehicle

Shannons offer Car Insurance that will cover these scenarios and more. To learn more visit our car insurance page.

shannons car insurance

Frequently asked questions

  • What is CTP and what does it cover?

    Compulsory Third Party (CTP) Personal Injury Insurance, also known in NSW as a CTP Green Slip, is mandatory and must be purchased before you can register your vehicle.

    CTP covers your liability and the liability of anyone else who drives your vehicle, for injuries caused to others in a motor accident. It also ensures you can get access to medical expenses and a percentage of your pre-injury weekly income if you need time off work for up to six months, if you’re injured, regardless of fault (unless you are charged with a serious driving offence).

    Visit the SIRA website for more information as conditions do apply.

  • What information do I need to provide for a CTP Green Slip quote?

    Have any combination of the following details handy to get a quick quote:

    1. Vehicle ID using either:
      • - Rego/Plate number
      • - VIN number
      • - Chassis number
      • - Engine number
    2. Owner ID using either:
      • - Billing number
      • - Licence number
      • - Photo card number
      • - Transport for NSW (formerly the RMS) customer ID
  • What if I don’t have the information required for my Green Slip?

    If you don’t have the required information, you will still be able to obtain a CTP Green Slip quote but you will not be able to purchase a policy. You can request this information from TfNSW by call 13 22 13.

  • How long does it take for my CTP Green Slip to go through to TfNSW?

    If you’ve paid for your CTP Green Slip online or by phone, an eGreen Slip will be sent to TfNSW within an hour of payment. If you’ve made your payment at a Post Office, it will take up to 2 business days for the eGreen Slip to reach TfNSW.

  • I’m moving interstate. What do I need to do to transfer my registration?

    If you’re moving to NSW, you’ll need to purchase a CTP Green Slip and obtain an Safety Check prior to registering your vehicle with Service NSW. Until you register your car in NSW, it will be considered unregistered, even if your vehicle still has current registration from where you were previously living. Visit Service NSW for further details and requirements.

    If you’re moving away from NSW, you’ll need to refer to your new state or territory’s requirements and timeframes for transferring your vehicle registration.

  • How is my privacy protected?

    We only use information from TfNSW that is necessary to provide you with an accurate CTP Green Slip quote. This information has always been required to be provided when purchasing a CTP policy.

    You can find out more information on how we handle your privacy here.

  • Why does my quote not match the price from the SIRA Green Slip Check or other websites?

    Quotes from other websites, including the SIRA Green Slip Check, are estimates based on information you provide. The Green Slip quote from us uses registration information held by TfNSW. Prices may not match if the information you provide is different.

  • How can I register a complaint or dispute for a CTP Green Slip?

    At Shannons, we take your feedback seriously. You can submit a complaint or feedback by visiting the Dispute Resolution page.

  • What if I’m eligible for TfNSW automatic registration renewal?

    If you are eligible for TfNSW 'auto registration renewal' service offered to some Pensioners, you need to pay your CTP Green Slip before the registration renewal date. After you pay your CTP, we recommend you check with TfNSW directly, to confirm if your registration has been renewed.

  • How do I lodge a CTP Green Slip claim?

    You’ll find information about what you need to do to lodge a CTP Green Slip claim at Before making a NSW CTP claim.

    CTP Insurance is Underwritten by AAI Limited ABN 48 005 297 807 trading as GIO. Shannons Pty Ltd ABN 91 099 692 636 acts as an agent and authorised representative of GIO.

  • Why does my older vehicle not have the CTP Green Slip go through to TfNSW automatically?

    Some older vehicles do not have a VIN or it is shorter than the usual number so this can impact the transmission of the eGreen Slip to TfNSW. In these cases, you may need to take your paid Green Slip into TfNSW to renew your registration.

  • Why does TfNSW tell me my CTP Green Slip is with GIO when I am with Shannons?

    Shannons CTP is issued by GIO, one of the 7 licensed insurers approved by SIRA to provide CTP cover in NSW. Shannons acts as an authorised agent of GIO.

  • Can I renew my CTP Green Slip term to 6 months?

    If you have a light vehicle (vehicles with GVM less than 4.5 tonnes), you have the option to choose between a 6 month or 12 month term. As long as you pay for both the CTP Green Slip and registration within 21 days of the due date, you can choose a 6 month term for the renewal of your CTP.

    If it’s been more than 21 days since your registration was due, you can only choose the 12 month period, unless there are ‘extenuating circumstances’ for us to accept the late payment.

  • What happens to my CTP Green Slip when I sell or buy a registered vehicle?

    CTP Green Slip is linked to the vehicle, not the owner, so if you sell your vehicle, the CTP Green Slip will be transferred to the new owner.

    Please ensure you have completed the transfer a vehicle registration form with Service NSW.

  • How do safety checks and inspections work?

    Safety checks can only be performed at authorised inspection stations and the results are sent to TfNSW electronically.

    Safety check (previously called a pink slip) when renewing registration:

    To renew registration in NSW, most light vehicles more than 5 years old must undergo a safety check to ensure they meet minimum safety requirements.

    Vehicles not currently registered in NSW:

    Vehicles not currently registered in NSW must have an Authorised Unregistered Vehicle Inspection Scheme (AUVIS) inspection (formally called a blue slip) before they can be registered.

    Visit the TfNSW to find out more.

  • How do I cancel my CTP Green Slip?

    There are only some circumstances under which you can cancel your CTP Green Slip. Please call us on 13 46 46 and we will help you with any cancellation.

    To enable us to process a mid term cancellation, you will need to supply a confirmation of cancellation letter from Service NSW.

  • How can I choose to receive my CTP Insurance documents electronically?

    You can receive your CTP Green Slip documents via email and we may send you reminders via sms. You can consent to receiving your CTP Green Slip documents electronically when setting up your CTP Green Slip online or when you contact us to set up or renew. All you need to provide is a regularly used email address and mobile phone number. If you consent to receiving your CTP Green Slip documents electronically you will not receive policy documents and communications via post.

This content applies to new policies and renewal policies with a start date after 22 March 2021.

Car Insurance

From vintage and veteran to classics, hot rods, modified and contemporary cars, no insurance provider caters better for the motoring enthusiast than Shannons.

Find out more

Bike Insurance

Shannons offers experienced bike riders, who are passionate about their ride, a real choice when it comes to insurance.

Find out more