1929 Chrysler 75 Series Doctors Coupe
|Engine||4.1 litre six cylinder|
|Colour||Navy blue/black guards|
Walter P. Chrysler, a former railway worker, made his reputation working for Buick, then took over the Maxwell Motor Company which was heavily in debt. Soon after he bought the Chalmers company and, in 1924, launched a completely new car called Chrysler. The first six-cylinder model had several engineering refinements including four-wheel hydraulic brakes, and subsequently his Chrysler cars became renowned for their build quality and innovations. Chrysler cars came to Australia during the 1920's and were fitted with locally built bodies which were built by T.J. Richards and Holden. The Chrysler 75 Series debuted in 1929, replacing the series 72 and was the mid-range Chrysler model. It was powered by a side-mounted 6-cylinder in-line 4078cc engine producing 62 kW driving the rear wheels through a single-disc dry clutch and a three-speed gearbox with central control. All four wheels had hydraulically braked drums. In America, 12 different bodies variants were offered, some replicated here such as this Doctor’s Coupe. Key starting (instead of the usual starter switch) was also offered for the first time on this model. 48,850 Chrysler 75 models were produced before it was replaced by the 77 series in 1930.