1973 Alfa Romeo Berlina 2000 Sedan
|Engine||n-line 4-cylinder, 1962cc|
Alfa Romeo replaced the long-running Giulia range with a new model, badged simply the 1750 Berlina, in 1967. Based on a stretched version of the Giulia’s platform, the 1750’s sharp new suit was styled by Bertone, with additional legroom for rear passengers and bootspace two big improvements. Alfa enlarged their classic alloy twin-cam four by increasing the bore from 78mm to 80mm and the stroke from 82mm to 88.5mm, resulting in a capacity of 1779cc. A pair of twin-choke carburettors and a 9:1 compression ratio resulted in a power output of 118 horsepower and appreciably better torque. The Berlina’s interior was considerably more luxurious than its predecessor, with wood replacing the metal dash and carpets instead of rubber mats. In June 1971 Alfa Romeo unveiled a revised model, the 2000 Berlina, at Lake Garda alongside similarly rebadged Spiders and GTVs. With the cylinder bores enlarged to 84mm, capacity rose to 1962cc and the power jumped to 132 horsepower at 5500 rpm. Alfa uprated the clutch to cope with the extra power and broadened the Berlina’s appeal by offering an automatic transmission for the first time. Other options included alloy wheels, but the exterior was left largely unchanged, with only a new Alfa shield design and quad headlamps of equal size setting the new model apart. Inside the biggest change was the instrument cluster, with jazzy new white and black dials and additional more wood trim giving an even more luxurious air. Although the top speed remained unchanged, the torquier 2-litre engine markedly improved the Berlina’s acceleration and a total of 89,840 were built before the model was finally discontinued in 1976.