1964 Land Rover 88 inch SWB Utility
|Engine||In-line 4-cylinder, 2250cc|
|Body Work||Station Wagon Utility|
Originally conceived as a replacement for the wartime Jeep by the Rover Car Company immediately after the cessation of hostilities, the Land Rover first appeared in prototype form in 1947 using a production Rover 10 engine driving through a standard gearbox with specially built dual-range transfer box. With simple but rugged engineering, permanent four-wheel drive (until the introduction of a dog clutch arrangement in 1950) and basic styling, the Land Rover performed well in the crucial export markets and huge numbers found their way into service on the land, in industry or with the military here in Australia. The original short-wheelbase Land Rover was supplemented by a longer-wheelbase Station Wagon version, initially on a 107-inch wheelbase and seating for up to ten on the rear bench seats. Mid-way through 1956 the definitive 109-inch wheelbase version was introduced, along with a new overhead-valve diesel engine the following year, one of the first diesels to be developed for road use. The Series II of 1958 brought major improvements, including a wider track and revised bodywork with curved side glass. Once again sold in both SWB and LWB guises, the latter now came with the option of seating twelve. A more powerful 2.25-litre petrol motor was introduced, becoming the most popular engine found in the Land Rover for many years to come. In 1961 the Land Rover was further updated to become the Series IIA, the principal differences being under the skin, with the availability of a new 2.25-litre diesel engine and - from 1967 - a more powerful 2.6-litre six-cylinder petrol motor. Now celebrated as an automotive icon, interest in classic Land Rovers is at an all time high and early examples are fetching record prices around the world.