1990 Suzuki RGV 250 Motorcycle
Suzuki's history can be traced back to manufacturing silk looms back in 1909 but it wasn't until the 1930s that the company began experimenting with internal combustion engines. The early post-war period saw Suzuki producing heaters and farm machinery but the small two-stroke engine resurfaced in 1952 and was initially sold in the form of the “Power Free” motorized bicycle. Suzuki began making their own motorcycles in 1954, beginning with a 90cc two-stroke Colleda, notable as one of the first to have oil injection to save the rider from having to mix the oil and petrol manually. Over the next three decades Suzuki established itself as one of the major Japanese motorcycle manufacturers, whilst diversifying into everything from small cars to outboard motors. Replacing the earlier RG250, the RGV250 was a race replica produced in limited numbers by Suzuki from 1987 until 1998. Incorporating technology from Team Suzuki’s Grand Prix winning RGV Gamma V-4 racers, the RGV250’s V-twin had a wider powerband and the updated VJ22 version introduced for the 1991 model year boasted advanced features like Suzuki Advanced Power Control engine management, an electronically-controlled Slingshot carburetor, three-stage Automatic Exhaust Timing Control and Multiple Digital Ignition System. Rated at 62 horsepower, the two-stroke liquid-cooled motor was housed in striking new crescent-shaped swingarm frame with twin right-side exhaust pipes, along with inverted front forks and link-type rear suspension. In addition to the standard blue/white and black colour schemes Suzuki offered the RGV250 in limited-edition form commemorating Kevin Schwantz’s Team Lucky Strike livery.