2020 Shannons Melbourne Autumn Classic Auction
1965 Chrysler 300L Hardtop Coupe (LHD)
Result: PASSED IN
|Engine||413ci V8 (with twin 4 Barrel Carbies)|
|Wheels||Steel with hubcaps|
This lot is no longer available
Chrysler’s legendary 300 series started with the C-300, a stylish two-door hardtop coupe unveiled on February 10, 1955 which combined luxury with a high-performance version of its Hemi V8 motor. For the next decade Chrysler’s famous “Letter Cars” signified the ultimate in personal luxury and performance, the C-300 arguably the first true muscle car. The 300 continued as Chrysler’s high-performance option for the remainder of the 1960s, although the final “Letter Car” - the 300L – appeared in 1965, the “300” model itself survived until 1971. The 300L was the 11th and final edition of the letter series models, and, like every other 1965 Chrysler, it featured a completely restyled body. The crisp lines, slab sides and tall greenhouse were introduced by Elwood Engel, successor of Virgil Exner as Chrysler's head of styling. It was a linear look and the panoramic windshield that had been used since 1957 was abandoned. The car had grown two inches in wheelbase and three inches in overall length. Both two-door hardtop (with crease lines in the roof sheet metal for the then-popular "convertible look") and two-door convertible body styles were available. The 413ci V8 engine with regular inlet manifold, single 4-barrel carburetion, unsilenced air cleaner, special camshaft and dual exhaust was the only engine option, with the choice of standard three-speed TorqueFlite automatic or no-cost option four-speed manual with Hurst shift linkage. Every 300L feature could also be ordered as an option on the regular 300. This left the round ‘300L’ medallions on the grille and in the middle of the textured aluminium applique between the taillights, a red-paint-filled full-length beltline moulding and a rectangular diecast ‘300’ badge on rear fenders as the only exclusive 300L features. A total of 2405 Chrysler 300L hardtops and convertibles were produced in 1965.