2019 Shannons Sydney Autumn Classic Auction & Rare Number Plates
1938 Bentley 4¼ Litre Open Tourer
|Engine||In-line 6-cylinder, 4257cc|
|Body Work||Open Tourer|
|Wheels||Wire-spoked with wheel discs|
|Brakes||Four wheel servo-assisted mechanical system|
This lot is no longer available
Following the takeover of Bentley Motors by Rolls-Royce in 1931, the first new model built at Derby was announced just two years later; nicknamed “The Silent Sports Car”, the 3 ½-litre model is widely acknowledged as one of the finest cars made in Britain before the war. Designed around a “double dropped” ladder frame chassis with semi-elliptic springs front and rear, the new Bentley was powered by an in-line six-cylinder engine with overhead pushrod-operated valves. The cylinder block and head were cast iron while the crankcase, sump and clutch housing were all aluminium. Twin horizontal SU carburettors and a 6.5:1 compression ratio resulted in an output of 114 horsepower at 4500rpm, while the gearbox was a four-speed unit with synchromesh on third and top. The 3 ½-litre Bentley proved a favourite with British coachbuilders, the vast majority bodied by Park Ward but all the leading designers of the day contributed exceptionally attractive bespoke bodywork for wealthy clientele, including Vanden Plas, H J Mulliner, Hooper, Barker, Freestone & Webb, Gurney Nutting and James Young. Bentley updated the 3 ½-litre to become the 4 ¼-litre in early 1936, the new engine’s bore was raised to 88.5mm while the stroke remained 114mm, raising power output to 125 horsepower and lifting top speed from 90mph to 96mph. Other improvements including revised main and big end bearings, the compression ratio raised to 6.8:1, bigger valves and larger carburettors for better breathing. Other changes included the switch to a Borg & Beck clutch and the additional of an air-cooled dynamo.