2018 Shannons Melbourne Spring Classic Auction
1998 Ferrari 456 GTA Coupe
Result: PASSED IN
|Engine||5.5 litre V12|
This lot is no longer available
The Ferrari 456 is a front-engined grand tourer that was produced from 1992 to 2003, replacing the long defunct 412 as the company’s V12-engined four-seater. Designed by Pietro Camardella at Pininfarina, the 456 was named after the fact that each cylinder displaced 456 cubic centimetres. Available in GT and (from 1996) GTA forms, the former with a six-speed manual and the latter a four-speed automatic developed in partnership with FF Developments. It was only the fourth automatic transmission ever offered by Ferrari. Power came from a 5.5 L (5473.91 cc) 65° V12 engine which was derived from the Dino V6, rather than the more conventional 60° V12s used in the 412 and Daytona. It produced 325 kW with four-valves per cylinder and Bosch Motronic M2.7 engine management, changed to Motronic M5.2 management in 1996. It could push the 1690 kg car and four passengers to 302 km/h, making it the (then) world's fastest production four-seater. At the time it was the most powerful road car ever developed by Ferrari (aside from the F40). The chassis was a tubular steel space-frame construction with a one-piece composite bonnet and body panels of aluminium. The body panels were welded to the chassis by using a special "sandwich filler" called feran that, when laid between, allowed steel and aluminium to be welded. The updated 456M (introduced in 1998), which was the last Ferrari model to use pop-up headlamps, was replaced in 2004 by the 612 Scaglietti.