1955 BMW R25/3 250cc Motorcycle
Result: PASSED IN
BMW's tradition of building high quality motorcycles dates back to the first R32 of 1923 and the company quickly developed a reputation for technical innovation and attractive, streamlined styling. With demand for cheap, reliable transport booming in post-war Europe, BMW's range of single-cylinder motorcycles sold in unprecedented numbers and the R24/25 series of the late 1940s and early 1950s proved hugely popular in the domestic market, thanks in no small part to a restriction limiting engine capacity to 250cc imposed by the Allied forces. When the R25 came along in 1950, a new welded tubular steel frame with sidecar mounts was adopted, along with plunger rear suspension and improvements to the engine. The R25/2 of 1951 evolved into the R25/3 of 1953 with further advances, including a larger fuel tank, 18-inch alloy wheels, full hub width brakes and hydraulically damping forks. The R25/3 was powered by the M224/4 version of the single-cylinder engine, with square bore and stroke of 68mm, raised compression ratio of 7:1, improved intake and exhaust systems and either a Bing 1/24/42 or SAWE R24F carburettor. Power was up to 13 hp at 5600 rpm as a result. These beautifully made motorcycles are now very popular with collectors and can hold their own with the best British bikes of the era.