|Engine||4 cylinder in line|
In 1908 John North Willys purchased the Overland Automobile Division of the Standard Wheel Company, and in 1912 renamed the company Willys-Overland Motor Company. In 1913 Willys Overland produced 37,000 vehicles, headed only by Ford with 107,000 and continued to be a major producer until the 1920s. In 1922 Walter P Chrysler took charge of the company in an attempt to revive its falling sales, but sales continued to decline during the Great Depression, and Willys Overland declared bankruptcy in 1934.
During the period 1920 - 1926, Willys Overland produced a succession of 4 cylinder models which were designated 4, 4A, 91 and 91A - all on 100 inch wheelbases. Total combined production of the 4 cylinder models 4, 4A, 91, 91A and 92 over the August 1919 to May 1926 period amounted to some 642,000 vehicles. All used the Triplex 3 point cantilever spring system consisting of 2 quarter elliptic springs mounted at angles at both the front and rear of the car. Overland chassis imported to In Australia in the early 1920s were fitted with bodies built by Holdens in South Australia.