Shannons Timed Online Winter sale delivers ‘$7m’ result
- Ferrari Dino 246 GT top seller at $640,000
- ‘Barn find’ HQ Holden SS makes $85,500;
- 1938 Matchless Model X ‘V-Twin’ motorcycle brings $70,000
An avalanche of final-hour bids pushed many of the 165 lots in Shannons Timed Winter Online Auction over the line to deliver total sales of $6,96 million with an excellent clearance rate of 90 per cent.
Amongst the outstanding results was the top-priced lot of the auction, a stunning, restored 1971 Ferrari Dino 246 GT coupe, for which bidding soared by $105,000 in the final moments of the auction to deliver a world market result of $640,000.
Another lot to benefit from the late bidding frenzy that took it ‘on the market’ was a totally restored 1966 Jaguar E-Type 4.2 Series 1 Roadster, which closed after a bidding extension at $271,000.
Very strong results were also delivered by Australian Muscle Cars, Japanese sporting cars and Classic motorcycles and scooters.
Three Aussie Supercars slugged it out for honours, with a 1969 Ford Falcon XW GT-HO Phase 1 topping the trio at $190,000, followed by a ‘no reserve’ 1973 Falcon XA GT that brought $145,500 and a 1970 Holden LC Torana GTR XU-1 that sold for $140,000.
Another outstanding result for an Australian ‘Muscle’ car was the $85,500 paid for a ‘barn find’; one family owned and unrestored 1972 Holden HQ SS 253 V8 sedan, followed closely by an unrestored 1978 Holden HZ GTS Monaro manual’ sedan, which sold for $80,500.
Japanese sporting cars continued to be in high demand with enthusiasts and collectors, with a rare (one of 25) Australian-modified 1995 Mazda RX-7 SP rotary coupe eventually selling above its high pre-auction estimate for $166,000, followed closely by a 1994 Nissan Skyline R32 GT-R coupe that sold with ‘no reserve’ above its high estimate for $142,500. In another outstanding result, a 1983 Mazda RX7 Series 3 rotary coupe brought $46,000.
There were also a number of outstanding results amongst the 16 motorcycles and scooters, led by the $70,000 after 50 bids paid for an exceptional 1938 Matchless Model X motorcycle fresh from long-term storage – almost doubling its pre-auction high estimate. Meanwhile, a 1959 BMW R50 motorcycle and matching German Steib sidecaralso sold above estimate for $52,500.
Two desirable Kawasaki sports bikes – a freshly-restored 1976 Z900 A4 and a hugely-collectible, fully-restored 1973 H2A 750cc – sold for $35,200 and $32,500 respectively, while a 1961 Lambretta Li 125 Scooter offered with ‘no reserve’ nearly doubled its pre-sale high estimate at $17,500.
All 16 Heritage number plates in the auction were ‘on the market’ within two days of bidding opening, with the top result being the $250,000 paid for the NSW three-digit plate ‘809’, followed by the three Victorian three-digit plates ‘827’, ‘623’ and ‘481’, which sold for $160,500, $172,000 and $180,000 respectively. Another highlight of the auction were prices achieved for VIC 4-digit plates, led by 2-688 at $169.999 and VIC 1-991 selling for an excellent $160,000.
Amongst other auction highlights:
- A fastidiously-restored 1971 Ford Escort 1600GT ’Twin Cam’ sedan sold for $100,000;
- Two V6-engined Ford Capri coupes – a 1973 restored ‘manual’ and a 1971 ‘automatic’ – sold for $70,000 and $68,500 respectively;
- A restored 1955 FJ Holden Standard Sedan brought $45,000;
- A right hand drive 2005 Ford Mustang GT ‘E500’ Coupe sold above estimate for $54,000 after 48 bids;
- A Classic 1978 Bedford CF Franklin motorhome sold above expectation for $22,150;
- A very collectible c1957 Messerchmitt KR200 3-wheeler Microcar almost doubled its pre-auction high estimate under strong competitive bidding to sell for a ‘world market’ $56,200;
- A front-engined 1981 Porsche 924 in lovely condition sold with ’no reserve’ for $28,000; a 1990 V8 front-engined Porsche 928 S4 brought $51,000 and a nice, Californian-delivered 1961 Porsche 356B Twin Grille coupe made $130,000 after last-minute bidding.
To talk to a Shannons Auction Team member, call the 13 46 46, Option 6 (Auctions), or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Shannons next sale is its Spring Timed Online Auction from 31 August - 7 September 2021.