Portland Powerhouse Car Museum: Classic Restos - Series 43
For something completely different, Fletch uncovers the story behind the Ford Falcon in the fork of a tree in regional Victoria. Editor and publisher of Restored Cars magazine, Eddie Ford tells the true story of how the 1960 Ford Falcon got up that tree.
Back in Portland, Fletch uncovers another of the classic motoring museums that exist throughout regional Australia. This time the Powerhouse Car Museum in Portland, which opened in 1971 and today is operated by the Portland Vintage Car Club Inc. Portland Electricity owned the building before it was acquired by the local Shire and given to the Car Club for use as a museum. Local members own the vehicles on display, and the museum is open to the public. The simple exterior belies what is inside. Fletch was impressed by the diverse collection of over 30 cars and machinery on display, including American, American derivatives, Australian and British Classics. Together with some historical footage of the Holden Precision Driving Team in their HQ Holdens.
A couple of items caught Fletch's eye. The first was a 1933 Ruston Hornsby 2 Cylinder power plant, that generates 130 Horsepower at 260 revolutions per minute, in running order, a smooth and powerful machine turning over effortlessly, amazing technology for back then. The other an Australian designed and built 1927 Essex, a vehicle that was purchased locally in Hamilton and retained in the same family name ever since. It was at one stage cut up for use as a ute but since restored to its original configuration.
This museum is another national treasure and well worth a visit if you're in the Portland Region.