A Chequered Past is a rare chance to see iconic cars in action
A selection of iconic cars from the National Museum of Australia’s historic vehicle collection in Canberra will be seen in action at Wakefield Park Raceway in Goulburn, New South Wales, 17 August 2019.
Among the cars to be on public display for the first time are the 1964 Bentley S3 saloon assigned to Sir Robert Menzies in 1966 and the 1918 Australian Six motor car prototype.
Many of the Museum’s vehicles are kept in running order but are rarely put on display due to their size and the logistics of moving them.
However, this is about to change with an unprecedented opportunity to see some of Australia’s iconic vehicles together - in action at Wakefield Park Raceway.
This is a family-friendly celebration of a hundred years of Australia’s motoring history.
Among the cars on display and in action will be:
- Brabham BT23A-1 Repco V8, 1967, built and raced by Formula One legend, Jack Brabham
- 1923 5CV 'Type C' torpedo' Citroen motor car, driven around Australia by Nevill Westwood in 1925
- The Sundowner Bean 14hp car, 1925, driven by Francis Birtles on his record-breaking journey from London to Melbourne in 1927
- DE 36hp Daimler landaulette, 1948, an extremely rare coach-built vehicle by Hooper and Co. on a Daimler ‘straight eight’ chassis used by Queen Elizabeth II during the 1954 Royal tour. National Museum of Australia
- Model-T Ford truck, 1924–26, used to promote Aeroplane Jelly from 1978 to 1988
- A black 1959 Wolseley 1500 saloon sedan with four doors
- Australian Government Bentley 'S' Series 3 black saloon motor car used by Sir Robert Menzies
- Model 48/215 Holden sedan, 1949, delivered the day before these Holdens were released for sale to the general public.
- Holden Calais 2017 V sedan and accessories - manufactured at the GM Holden factory in Elizabeth, South Australia on 13 October 2017, a week prior to the plant's closure on 20 October 2017
The event will include a program of talks with motoring celebrities, music, food vans, car club stands and a VIP package.
Show n Shine contributors will have an opportunity to participate in marshalled laps of the track. For more information email email@example.com
A CHEQUERED PAST VEHICLES FROM THE
NATIONAL MUSEUM OF AUSTRALIA
Wakefield Park, Saturday 17th August 2019 - 10am - 3pm
The Shannons Club in conjunction with the National Museum of Australian is offering
Shannons Club Members a 50% discount on entrance fees.
Shannons Club Member Ticket Price: $9.01
For more information about the event, see https://www.nma.gov.au/whats-on/chequered-past