1950 Matchless G9 500cc Motorcycle
|Engine||498cc air-cooled twin-cylinder|
Manufactured at the former Matchless works in Plumstead, London (UK) and launched at the post war Earls Court motorcycle show in late 1948, the Matchless G9 was produced by Associated Motorcycles alongside the corresponding AJS Model 20. It was built initially for export to the US, with sales starting in the home market a year later. The styling was modern for the period and its dual seat, megaphone silencers and bright chrome work helped justify the model name of Super Clubman for the Matchless and Spring Twin for the AJS. Those embellishments aside, the remainder of the components and design were standard AMC, with the engine housed in a pivoted fork frame with telescopic front forks. The basic Matchless G9 design changed little over the next few years, though in 1952 a new Burman gearbox was adopted. Progressively developed, the G9's twin-cylinder engine underwent a number of capacity increases before finally being discontinued with the introduction of the 646cc Matchless G12 model (and AJS Model 31) in 1958.