1973 Moto Guzzi Eldorado 850 V-Twin Motorcycle
Moto Guzzi is an Italian motorcycle manufacturer and the oldest European manufacturer in continuous motorcycle production. Established in 1921 in Mandello del Lario, Italy, the company is celebrated for its historic role in Italy's motorcycling manufacture, its original prominence worldwide in motorcycle racing, and several motorcycle industry innovations, such as the first motorcycle centre stand, the first use of a wind tunnel in design and its eight-cylinder engine. Moto Guzzi’s defining characteristic is its air-cooled 90° V-twin engines with a longitudinal crankshaft orientation, where the engines' transverse cylinder heads project prominently on either side of the motorcycle. In 1972 the previously 757cc engine was enlarged to 850cc and the 850 GT, or Eldorado as it was known in America, was introduced. The power was up to a respectable 65bhp at 6500 rpm, there was now a five-speed gearbox, but some anachronistic features, such as the belt-driven Marelli dynamo, remained. The Eldorado’s chassis was inherited from the earlier V7 model, the large loop frame designed for strength rather than lightness, with 18-inch wheels front and rear. Some examples retained the V7's double leading-shoe front brake, while others included the more effective four leading-shoe type of the contemporary V7 Sport. Since 2004, Moto Guzzi has been one of seven brands owned by Italian motorcycle giant Piaggio.