|Engine||2.5 litre four-cylinder|
This lot is no longer available
Riley's first post-war model was the RM series of saloons, dropheads and roadsters, built initially at Coventry although production later switched to the MG factory at Abingdon. The RMA was the first model to appear late in 1945 and featured torsion bar front suspension and a development of the pre-war overhead-valve four-cylinder engine, plus hydro-mechanical brakes. Marketed as the 1½ litre, the RMA had attractive, traditional styling and could reach 75 mph on the open road. Riley supplemented the RMA with the 2½ litre RMB from 1946, using a longer wheelbase chassis made from heavier gauge steel, to accommodate the long-stroke four-cylinder engine. With twin cams and fed by a pair of SU carburettors, the RMB had 100 horsepower on tap and could top 90mph. In March 1948 Riley expanded the model line-up to include the flashy RMC Roadster, a model aimed squarely at the American market (indeed it was initially only sold in left-hand drive guise), followed by the Drophead RMD in 1949, with buyers including film star Clark Gable. The RMC (Roadster) was an open two-door, single bench seat, two/three-seater version of the RMB, with a large rear deck area, fold-flat windscreen, gear change lever on the steering column and an enlarged to 20-gallons fuel tank. Body wise, on the RMC the bonnet and radiator were lowered, and extra over-riders fitted to the bumpers. Instead of side windows it was supplied with flexible side curtains with a hole for hand signals and a synthetic roof over a light metal frame. In September 1949 Riley announced future RMC production would include a small quota of cars with right-hand drive. Just over 500 were built from 1948 until 1951.