1927 Rolls-Royce Phantom 1 Limousine
|Engine||In-line 6-cylinder, 7668cc|
Announced as the successor to the remarkable Silver Ghost in 1925, the New Phantom was the first Rolls-Royce to utilise the now legendary Phantom name, one that continues to be used on the flagship model today. The Phantom featured a completely redesigned overhead-valve six-cylinder engine with twin cylinder blocks and a single detachable-head, plus a seven main bearing crankshaft and twin ignition via coil and magneto. Displacing 7668cc, this magnificent motor had enormous reserves of torque available and three forward speeds were deemed sufficient, with a dry clutch replacing the previous cone type. Although power output was not quoted, Rolls-Royce noted the new engine delivered a 33% improvement over its predecessor and the long stroke unit offered greater flexibility. The chassis was an improved version of the Silver Ghost’s and available in two lengths – the 143 ¼ inch short wheelbase and longer 150 ½ inch model intended for more formal coachwork. Hydraulic shock absorbers were introduced a year after the Phantom entered production and these were ultimately adopted at the rear as well, while four-wheel brakes were carried over from the last of the Silver Ghosts. Like the Silver Ghost before it, the Phantom was also produced in Springfield, Massachusetts for the American market and made in limited numbers – only 2258 were built in Derby, due in part to the Depression and the rising popularity of the smaller horsepower Rolls-Royce Twenty. Marque experts agree the New Phantom remains undervalued in the market place at present, offering many advantages over the more highly fancied Silver Ghost and they make wonderful club cars, ideal for long distance touring.