1948 Morgan 4/4 series 1 Roadster
Result: PASSED IN
|Colour||British Racing Green|
|Wheels||Steel with hubcaps|
The Morgan Motor Company is arguably the oldest independent automobile company still in existence, still producing sports cars just as it has for more than 100 years. The Morgan 4/4 (first designated 4-4) was introduced in 1935 and was the UK manufacturer’s first ever four-wheeled vehicle after previously producing only motorcycle-engined three-wheelers. Originally a two-seater, a more practical 4/4 four-seat version was introduced in 1937. Initially powered by a 25 kW 1122 cc Coventry Climax four-cylinder engine, when Climax ceased making engines available Morgan switched to a tuned 1267cc Standard Motor Company Ten engine, producing 29 kW. Production was halted during World War II but resumed afterwards as the 4/4. Production halted again in 1950 when supplies of the engine dried up, but resumed in 1955 when a suitable replacement, the 2088cc Standard Vanguard in-line four was found, and has continued ever since. 1955 also marked the introduction of the second-generation car which used the more modern chassis of the Plus-4 model. From this point the updates to production became rampant, with a further three series introduced by 1963. The fifth-series ran until 1968, whereupon it was replaced with the simpler title of 4/4 1600, which lasted until 1993. Still in production today, the Morgan 4/4 model holds the record for the longest continually produced production car in history.