1938 Plymouth 2Dr Coupe (RHD) - From the 'Ian Cummins Collection'
|Engine||In-line 6-cylinder, 201.3-cid|
First introduced as a separate model line in 1929, Plymouth produced cheaper vehicles as part of the Chrysler Corporation and played a significant role in the company?s survival during the tough years of the Great Depression, ultimately rising to the number three position in overall sales by 1931. Contributing to the success of the brand, Plymouth offered features like hydraulic brakes on all four wheels and all-steel construction before either of its two main rivals, Ford and Chevrolet. Switching to a six-cylinder engine in 1933 also boosted sales considerably, as did independent front suspension the following year. Not content with totally redesigning the Plymouth for 1935, the company further developed their product for 1936 from the ground up. The chassis was now an oval centre section with an X-frame riveted to it and boxed side rail members for additional rigidity, again using the ?Unit Frame & Body Construction? method of bolting the body both vertically and horizontally at 46 points for excellent structural integrity. By 1937, styling had entered the Art Deco era of streamlining, with skirted fenders and curved radiator surround and was only mildly revised the following year. A variety of different body styles were offered, using either 112-inch or longer 132-inch wheelbase lengths. Once again, two distinct models were offered, the P5 Business line with more basic trim levels and less bright work, and the upmarket P6 Deluxe series. Mid-way through the model year Plymouth rebadged the P5 as the ?Roadking? but sales plummeted in line with the industry overall, as recession took hold. Celebrating its tenth anniversary, Plymouth still managed to hold third place overall, with 258,334 units recorded for the 1938 calendar year.