c1995 Sachs Moped 301/A Petrol Powered Bicycle
The history of Sachs dates back to the founding of Schweinfurter Präcisions-Kugellagerwerke Fichtel & Sachs by Karl Fichtel and Ernst Sachs in 1895, a company initially making precision ball bearings, and the Nürnberger Hercules Werke of Neumarkt established by Carl Marschütz in 1886. While Fichtel & Sachs soon focused on the production of engines, supplying numerous motorcyle manufacturers around the world, Hercules expanded to become one of Germany’s largest producers of bicycles and ultimately began adding Sachs (and other proprietory) engines to their two-wheeled machines. Sachs ultimately took over Hercules in 1963 and continued building a range of small capacity mopeds, scooters and dirt bikes. In 1987 the Saxonette was introduced, powered by a 30cc wheel-hub engine. Normally fitted to Hercules or Spartamet frames, the Saxonette 301 consists of a single-cylinder two-stroke unit developing 0.7 horsepower, with a centrifugal clutch and electronic ignition. Sold as the 301/A and 301/AB, the Saxonette proved reliable, easy to maintain and offered exceptional range.