c1948 Velocette Mac 350cc Motorcycle
|Engine||Single cylinder, 349cc|
Established by John Taylor and his sons in Birmingham, the Veloce Motor Company Ltd of Birmingham established a reputation for building high quality, innovative bikes from its inception in 1908, launching its first two-stroke model, the 206cc Velocette, in 1913. While the firm made its name with a series of exotic overhead camshaft bikes, winning a string of TTs in the 1920s and taking first place at the 1930 Manx Grand Prix, Velocette models also catered for more modest pockets with their pretty 350 singles. Surprisingly torquey and lacking in vibration, the frame designed by Australian Phil Irving gave a safe and pleasant ride and their appearance hardly changed from the early 1930s to their demise in the early 1970s. The M-series Velocettes began with the 248cc MOV in 1933 and was soon followed by the larger MAC, offering 120 km/h from its 349cc high-camshaft pushrod engine. Equipped with short rocker arms to reduce vibration, the MAC soon became a firm favourite as a smooth, straightforward, slimline, single-cylinder tourer. Having seen service during the Second World War (around 11,000 of these suitably modified ‘WD’ models were ultimately supplied to the Ministry of Defence), the MAC continued in production post-war, suitably updated and improved, for some years. Indeed, the Springer version launched in 1953 survived as late as 1960. Today these early Velocettes enjoy a loyal following around the world, with plenty of support from local clubs and specialists.