1925 Studebaker California 6 Cyl. Sedan
Hailing from South Bend, Indiana, the Studebaker Brothers began building horse-drawn wagons and buggies in the late 19th Century before developing their first electric powered vehicle in 1902, designed by the legendary Thomas Edison. By 1904, Studebaker were building gasoline-fuelled cars alongside those powered by batteries and, as with most of the American auto industry, the internal combustion engine soon became the mainstay of production. By 1913 the Studebaker was available in both four and six-cylinder models, each using monoblock engine casting, but from 1920 onwards only the Six was being made, in Light, Special and Big derivatives. In August 1924 Studebaker reorganised their model range once again, with the Light Six being replaced by the Model ER Standard Six, a completely restyled and improved car in every way. The Model ER was built on a 113-inch wheelbase chassis with two-wheel mechanical brakes (four-wheel braking was optional), powered by Studebaker's sturdy 242-cid in-line six-cylinder, developing 50 horsepower at 2200 rpm. Changes for 1925 included revised styling with a shorter, more curved bonnet, a new nickel-plated radiator shell and different beading on the front guards. Technical innovations included full pressure lubrication, an improved emergency brake and new engine mounts, while the engine and transmission were made in unit to reduce vibration. All Standard Six Studebakers came equipped with balloon tyres, shock absorbers and heaters, with Spanish leather upholstery used for open cars and Angora mohair and wool on closed models. Colour options were limited to a light Navajo Grey or a darker Seminola Grey and a lacquer finish was used on all closed models from 1925. No less than eleven body styles were catalogued in 1925-1926, ranging from Duplex Roadsters and Phaetons to Closed Sedans, Coupes and Berlines. Combining excellent performance, equipment and reliability at a remarkably affordable prices, sales of the Studebaker Standard Six flourished and no less than 147,099 were made over two full calendar years of production.