1967 Landrover 2a 109 'Workshop' Utility
|Engine||In-line 4-cylinder, 2295cc|
Originally conceived as a replacement for the wartime Jeep by the Rover Car Company immediately after the cessation of hostilities, the Land Rover first appeared in prototype form in 1947 using a production Rover 10 engine driving through a standard gearbox with specially built dual-range transfer box. With permanent four-wheel drive (until the introduction of a dog clutch arrangement in 1950), simple but rugged engineering and basic styling, the first Land Rovers did well in the crucial export markets and a great many found their way into service on the land and in both military and industry in Australia over the years. The original short-wheelbase Land Rover was supplemented by a longer-wheelbase Station Wagon version, initially on a 107-inch wheelbase with seating for up to ten on the rear bench seats. Mid-way through 1956 the definitive 109-inch wheelbase version was introduced, along with a new overhead-valve diesel engine the following year, one of the first diesels to be developed for road use. The Series II Land Rover of 1958-1961 brought major improvements, including a wider track and revised bodywork, with curved side glass and was sold in both SWB and LWB guises, the latter now with the option of 12-seater capacity. A new 2.25-litre petrol motor was employed and became the most popular engine found in the Land Rover for many years, with 72 horsepower available. In 1961 the Land Rover was further updated to become the Series IIA, the principal differences being under the skin, with the availability of a new 2.25-litre diesel engine and - from 1967 - a more powerful 2.6-litre six-cylinder petrol motor. Now celebrated as an automotive icon, interest in classic Land Rovers is at an all time high and early examples are fetching record prices around the world.