1925 Willys Overland Delivery Van
|Engine||In-line 4-cylinder, 154-cid|
|Body Work||Delivery Van|
After John North Willys took over Overland in 1908, the newly revitalized company expanded rapidly and, in 1917, challenged Henry Ford with a competitor to the Model T. The Overland factory in Toledo, Ohio continued turning out robust, inexpensive yet well-engineered fours and sixes until 1927, when Willys retired the name in favour of the Whippet line. The mainstay of Overland's production during the 1920s was the Model 91, with a 154-cid four-cylinder motor developing 30hp and three-speed transmission in a 100-inch wheelbase frame. Realizing they could never compete with the Model T head to head, Willys turned their product into a slightly larger, better equipped and more expensive product and sales grew strongly as a result, with more than 150,000 built in 1925. The Overland proved popular with Australian buyers right from the earliest days, thanks to a reputation for reliability and longevity and they continue to enjoy a strong following here, with support from the local club.