c1951 Triumph 5T Speed Twin 500cc Motorcycle
Triumph's range in the early post-war years consisted entirely of twins, with the smaller 350cc 3T and 498cc 5T models the mainstream production bikes. The origins of the 5T Speed Twin date back to the mid-1930s and it was launched to great fanfare thanks to the powerful parellel-twin four-stroke motor and claims of 90mph speeds. Post-war versions saw tele-forks introduced in 1946 and the replacement of the troublesome Lucas MN2 mag-dyno with a new K2F magneto. Edward Turner's handsome styling resulted in one of the all-time classics and set a trend that lasted well into the 1960s. Leading up to, and during the war period, Triumph began to realise the commercial benefits of selling their big new bikes, the 5T and Tiger 100, across the Atlantic and through the auspices of racing, began to have an impact with US buyers. Americans tended to ride motorcycles more for pleasure than as a basic means of transport and the big powerful Triumphs suited the wide open roads.