|Engine||In line 4 cylinder, 918cc|
The Morris Eight was introduced in October 1934 and rolled off the line at the newly completed Cowley plant. The Eight was offered in a variety of guises, including a basic two-seater, an open tourer or saloon (with the option of a sliding "sunshine" roof) and was powered by a side-valve four-cylinder engine displacing just under one litre, with a single SU carburettor and an initial 23.5 horsepower rating. The three-speed transmission had synchro on second and top. The Morris used coil ignition, a six-volt electrical system and had Lockheed hydraulic brakes, a feature that set the car apart from many of its less sophisticated competitors. With an affordable asking price and rugged build quality, the Morris proved a real hit and nearly 165,000 were made before the revised Series 2 model was introduced in 1937, making it one of the most popular small cars on the road in Britain before the War. While the Series 2 was a minor update, 1938's Series E modernised the Eight's styling particularly with the front end treatment. Power was up to 29bhp and a four-speed box was fitted. The E continued until 1948, with 120,434 produced in total.