Morris introduced the 'Cowley' nameplate in 1915, essentially as a cheaper version of their Oxford. Many parts were sourced from cheaper US providers, including the Continental-built motor and Detroit gearbox. In 1919 the British arm of Hotchkiss took over engine building as Continental supplies dried up post- WW1. Morris then acquired this arm and re-named them the 'Morris engines branch'. By 1926 an all-steel body was available though the engine was retained, along with braking to rear-wheels only (the Oxford adopting all-wheel brakes at this time- an option on the Cowley). The chassis was also changed at this time with 4-wheel semi-elliptic leaf springs. Over 200,000 were produced between 1926 and 1931 with a range of bodystyles including coupes and two and four-seat Tourers.