1980 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe Convertible (RHD)
|Gearbox||3 speed Automatic|
Cadillac introduced the Eldorado nameplate on the body of a newly designed convertible for 1953. Derived from the Spanish 'El Dorado' (which can be translated as the 'Golden One'), it was the production version of the 'El Dorado' concept car that was shown in 1952, celebrating the Cadillac Automobile Company's golden anniversary. The badge continued to be found on luxurious Cadillac's until 2002, finally being retired after eight generations had passed through the doors. 1979 saw the introduction of the sixth generation Eldorado. Showing an awareness of the impact the seventies 'fuel crisis' had on the industry, Caddy downsized the Eldorado in size and engine capacity- initially offering a 350ci to replace the humongous 425ci and 500ci that resided in fifth-gen cars. The smaller chassis was shared with other GM brands, also being found in the Oldsmobile Tornado and Buick Riviera. In 1980 the 368ci V8 was introduced, and it adopted DEFI, a throttle-body injection system that was electronically controlled and further enhanced emissions and economy. Independent rear suspension combined with this injection technology to bring the Eldorado into the eighties, but still with a sense of excess carried over from previous generations.