1959 Triumph Tiger Cub 200cc Solo Motorcycle
|Engine||200 cc. Air cooled single|
|Colour||Silver and Red|
Triumph was founded in 1886 by two Germans, Siegfried Bettman and Mauritz Schulte, who made bicycles and was based in Coventry, England. A quarrel led to a split and Schulte continued in the business, focusing on simple reliable machines. Triumph hit financial problems in the 1930's during the depression and was sold to Ariel in 1936. It was at this point that Edward Turner was appointed Chief Designer and within a year the '500cc Speed-Twin' was born. In 1951 the company was taken over by BSA and other famous models followed, such as the 'Bonneville' and 'Tiger Cub' in 1959 and the 'Trident' in 1969. However by the early '80s production was slowly grinding to a halt. Although the liquidator was called in during 1983, the firm was re-born in 1991 under the ownership of John Bloor and continues to this day making its charismatic motorcycles for the many loyal and enthusiastic followers of the marque.
Developed from the Triumph Terrier, the T20 Tiger Cub with its 199cc overhead valve single cylinder engine was a great learners' motorcycle. It was produced from 1954-1965 and from 1957 was fitted with the more sophisticated swinging arm frame that had been fitted to Triumph's larger motorcycles since 1955.