1957 Matchless G80CS Motorcycle
|Engine||500cc Single Cylinder|
One of the most well established names in the motorcycle industry, Matchless was founded by Henry Collier in 1891 who developed his first engine by 1899 and was manufacturing motorcycles in Plumstead, London for sale by 1902. A wide range of models was produced under the Matchless name, ranging from diminitive two-strokes to 750cc four-stroke twins giving Matchless a long history of racing success. In 1938, Matchless and AJS became part of Associated Motorcycles, both companies producing models under their own marques. During the amalgamations that occurred in the British motorcycle industry in the 1960s, the Matchless four-stroke twin was replaced with the Norton twin, ending a long history of independent production.