1954 BMW R25/3 250cc Solo Motorcycle
With demand for cheap, reliable transport booming in post-war Europe, BMW's single-cylinder motorcycles sold in unprecedented numbers, forging the Bavarian company's reputation as a maker of high quality two wheeled machines. The R25 came along in 1950, a new welded tubular steel frame with sidecar mounts was adopted, along with plunger rear suspension and an improved engine.
The R25/2 of 1951 evolved into the R25/3 of 1953, with the M224/4 engine developing 13hp at 5,600rpm thanks to a higher compression ratio of 7:1, improved intake and exhaust systems and either a Bing or SAWE carburettor. Other notable features of the R25/3 were a larger fuel tank, 18-inch alloy wheels, full hub width brakes and hydraulically damping forks.